Monday, April 15, 2013

jobs I may apply for

I may apply for any of the following jobs, not because they represent my ideal position (they don't), but because they represent a "foot in the door," so to speak, and once I'm in Korea and have toughed it out for a year, I'll be able to apply for real work. (Keep in mind that $1 is approximately W1100, so a W30 million salary is only about $27,000, US. Not very much.)

1. Seoul National University, English instructor (academic/technical writing and presentation courses)
12 hours/week of classes, 2 required office hours
W2.83 million/month


Not a bad-sounding gig, despite the modest pay.

2. The Catholic University of Korea (Bucheon), Writing Clinic Advisor (proofing/editing)
9AM to 5PM, proofing and editing student writing
approx. W2.8 million/month


Not nearly as appealing. 40 hours a week for peanuts? Probably not. I have higher-self-esteem than that. And the "approx." is rather sinister-looking.

3. Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) (Daejeon)
12 hours/week of EFL & scientific writing
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.


I'm never a fan of ads that don't offer a specific salary.

4. Korea National University of Education, Kangnae-myeon, Cheongwon-gun, Chungbuk
18 hours/week in the Intensive English Teacher Training Program
approx. W2.5-W2.7 million/month


The prospect of training teachers is appealing, but the paltry salary isn't. As for teaching 18 hours a week... that would be a bit much by cushy Korean university standards, but it would be nothing compared to my current schedule with YB, where I teach 26 hours a week plus do at-home curriculum work, for a total of 40 hours/week.

5. Department of English Language Education at Seoul National University
12 hours/week of English conversation and/or composition
Salary anywhere from W30 to W45 million.


This actually sounds about as good as it gets without being Sungkyunkwan. I'm going to pour most of my heart and soul into applying for this particular job.

I'm not seeing any job ads for other major cities, like Busan, nor am I seeing any job ads for smaller universities out in the boonies. But I can continue to search the ads when I'm in Korea; I'll have a whole month there, after all. Wish me luck.


_

No comments: