Friday, February 01, 2013

my first low-carb meal

I went to the local Food Lion and got a big honkin' spaghetti squash, per several commenters' suggestions. Assuming that I could treat the squash as I would pasta, I cooked it, flaked it apart, then made fettuccine Alfredo out of it. Behold:


Spaghetti squash Alfredo with green onions and crumbled bacon. My Alfredo sauce follows the KISS Method (Keep It Simple, Stupid): butter, parmesan, and heavy cream, with a bit of garlic, onion, salt, and black pepper thrown in-- just enough to be noticeable, and no more.

All in all, the squash turned out firm and fibrous. Crunching down on those strands was nothing like noshing on fettuccine (not a surprise, really), and because spaghetti squash is only slightly sweet and not particularly flavorful, I felt the overall experience was rather bland. But as low-carb meals go, this wasn't a bad way to begin. A quick scan of online recipes shows that most spaghetti-squash preparations are done with tomato sauces and not cream sauces; after tonight, I can kind of see why. But the Alfredo approach wasn't terrible, and I've got enough for a second full meal.


_

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Yeah, I've always used a meat-and-tomato sauce over my spaghetti squash.

Also, give it time. As your body adapts to the new diet, you'll likely find that your taste buds, metabolism, etc., come to favor the squash over the pasta noodles.

The hankering for bacon, however, never goes away (I just try to limit myself to the Costco low-sodium product).