Friday, February 22, 2013

double dose

This week has been hellish. I've had to teach Iblis two days in a row-- a new first, and not a happy one at that. This is what comes of getting complacent: I had resigned myself to teaching Iblis only on Wednesdays (I can normally expect that all of my bad kids will come on Wednesday; Maximus was a bit of a terror yesterday, too), but the child with the helter-skelter eyes seems to treat his weekly schedule in a manner that's as ADHD as he is: he now shifts the days he comes seemingly at random. It used to be that he would come to YB on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, but this week he skipped Monday and is doing a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday thing. I asked him why he was doing this, and he shrugged. No plan, apparently. No reason. Just because.

Great.

I never teach Iblis on Thursdays because Lily usually has him. She, at least, has a reliable schedule. But I can now look forward to Russian roulette on Tuesdays and Wednesdays: Iblis might appear on one or both days. As the Irish joke goes: Lovely; fuckin' lovely.

Teaching Iblis and Maximus has somewhat soured me on the whole YB experience. I now find myself having to manage kids instead of simply teaching them, which brings back unpleasant memories of my bad old days as a high-school teacher. That, plus the Christmas party thing ("Attendance is required!"), not to mention the money thing from last November... I'm starting to see the signs, and the signs are saying, "Get out while you can!"




_

No comments: