Sunday, October 14, 2012

thank you, eBay

I paid a hefty sum for them on eBay, but I now have back in my possession Stephen R. Donaldson's First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. The books are trade paperbacks in like-new condition; time has somewhat yellowed their pages, but they're otherwise perfect (and they're in boxed sets, no less!). My own copies of Covenant are being held by a friend in Korea; I had put in a request, this past March, to get them back, but they haven't floated across the Pacific for whatever reason. So, impatient bastard that I am, I bought new copies.

Since I had caught up with The Final Chronicles a few months ago (the fourth book in that tetralogy, The Last Dark, has yet to be released), I thought it would be good to go back to the beginning and reread the earlier adventures of everyone's favorite embittered, tormented leper. Donaldson's series will also be a welcome change in pace and tone from the Harry Potter books, which I've been rereading (I'm now starting the final book of that heptalogy). I need to move on to something more mature. Rape, incestuous lust, ontological exigencies, and the possible destruction of the earth-- that's where it's at.


_

No comments: