Wednesday, April 06, 2011

teens as resource

I've been toying with an idea for the past two weeks, and am thinking I might want to move ahead with it this month: I want to get some of my high school students involved in my walk project. This isn't going to be easy; I teach, at most, nine people per day, and most of them aren't high schoolers. In nearly four weeks on the job, I've tutored perhaps five or six high schoolers, most of whom attend the YB Far branch, not YB Near. Since last week, my time at YB Far has been reduced to only one day per week; the rest of my time is spent at YB Near, where I tutor perhaps one or two high schoolers per week. I'm thinking of creating fliers and asking my fellow tutors to distribute them to their HS students, especially the juniors and seniors. My colleagues may find this rather presumptuous of me.

Ideally, I would like to gather up six or eight interested students, and we could start route planning and figure out other logistics. Right now, I'm caught between taking a southerly route or shooting straight across the country via the American Discovery Trail; the ADT's main disadvantages are that it heads right through tornado country and would be, in some parts, impassible during the winter. On the other hand, the trail is maintained, from state to state, by societies devoted to it, so the information about the trail and its quirks is plentiful. That would make planning easier for my HS students.

I'd actually rather get the 501(c)(3) set up before I involve the teens; I'd like their help in coming up with fundraising ideas, too, and that can't happen until I've got a nonprofit that can receive funds.

Teens as resource. Would these kids even be interested?


_

1 comment:

John from Daejeon said...

Extremely doubtful. Just think, what were you into as a teen and would something like this have hS any appeal to you back then?

Good luck though. Your best bet might be going from church to church along your chosen route and explaining why you are doing what you are doing and asking for simple donations food, shelter/couch surfing, and money.