Tuesday, October 23, 2007

what it all means

So a few days ago, JK Rowling announced that she has long thought of Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore as gay. I wonder whether she might not have been influenced by the openly gay Sir Ian McKellen, perhaps having envisioned him in the role of Dumbledore before McKellen was snatched (!) away to play Gandalf and Richard Harris was slotted (!) into the role of England's most powerful wizard.

My thoughts on the whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing:



If I were Albus Dumbledore, I'd rebrand myself as "Luscious D." Students would be practicing a lot of Wingardium Leviosa and Engorgio. Tee-hee!



_

3 comments:

R said...

That cracked me up.

I think I've asked you before (and since killed the braincell that knew the answer), but what do you use to make those gifs?

Kevin Kim said...

R,

I have an old version of Photoshop Elements (v2.0) that has an "animated GIF" function. Basically, you make your GIFs, then stack them as layers WITHOUT using the "flatten layers" function. Then you do a "Save for Web" command, and on that screen you choose "perceptual GIF" as your file format and check the "animated" box. You also have to adjust the time interval and click "loop" to make sure the GIF plays over and over. I initially chose a time interval of 2.5 seconds, but I read too slowly, so I upped the interval to 3.2 seconds and doubled some of the frames/layers so that they'd play twice as long (i.e., 6.4 seconds instead of 3.2).

Doing such animation was a pain the first time around, but it gets easier.


Kevin

Elisson said...

Fookin' brilliant, that was.