Monday, June 04, 2007

Namdaemun asshole

I spent part of today over at Namdaemun Market, shopping for some little gifts to take back to the States. At one store that sold necklaces and other accessories, I asked how much a particular set of earrings cost.

"You planning to buy?" one of the shopgirls asked.

"Just looking," I said.

"We can't tell you the price, then," she said.

I walked. Do they seriously believe people will buy something without first comparing prices?

Maybe they based their sales tactic on gullible tourists. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that was the case: another lady tried to sell me a four-pack of those Jeju Island chocolates for W15,000. I've seen the same chocolates sold at Lotte Mart for W2300 per pack. You do the math.

Anyway, it's a bit disappointing to see that Namdaemun Market isn't as cheap as it used to be. As always, shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

YOU GOT THAT?


_

1 comment:

Jelly said...

I don't understand that logic. Wouldn't the price be one of the determining factors if you planned to buy it?
And a 4-pack of those chocolates for 15 bucks? Insane! Did you tell her you knew they're less than 1/5 of the price at Lotte Mart - or even 7-11 for that matter? Sheesh!
Other than that, did you have any luck getting some gifts?
I hope you have a great time back in the States and a safe journey and all that. I'm trying to be genuinely happy for your time away, but to be honest I feel a twist of jealousy somewhere inside me everytime I think about it!