Sunday, May 13, 2007

postal scrotum: Spidey and Ash

In my review of "Spider-Man 3," I had remarked that it might be cool to see a teamup of Spider-Man and Bruce Campbell's character Ash from the Evil Dead trilogy. For those who don't know: Ash is a dude who loses both his girlfriend and one of his hands to an evil power let loose after the misuse of a book called the Necronomicon. Ash turns out to be quite resourceful (not to mention a natural fighter), and he makes good use of his wrist stump, on which he occasionally places a jury-rigged chainsaw for close-in combat. In the third Evil Dead movie, "Army of Darkness," Ash finds himself transported back in time to the Middle Ages (?). While there, he makes himself a large, ugly mechanical hand that can crush things. "Groovy," he says upon its completion.

My buddy Mike D. wrote in on May 7 (sorry, Mike, for not posting this earlier) about my Spidey/Ash comment:

Dude,

I checked on your blog this evening to get your take on the French elections. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover your review of Spiderman 3. I only skimmed it (cuz I haven't seen the movie yet) but I did happen to catch your bit on Bruce Campbell, Ash, and your off the cuff suggestion of a Spidey/Ash team up.

I just wanted to let you know, your wish is Marvel's command, though it's not much of a "Team Up."

Check it out: SPIDEY/ASH WIKIPEDIA LINK

I too am a big fan of Mr. Campbell. Not maniacal, but fan enough that when he did a book signing five blocks from my apartment a few years back, I had to stop by and say Hi. Talked to him for a few minutes and he had more questions about my DoD-type job than I had about his acting career. He seemed pretty cool.

- Mike D

A brush with fame as Mike meets The Chin!


_

No comments: