Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Come grab ewe elation!

Congratulations to the Gypsy Scholar, Dr. Horace Jeffery Hodges, on securing a new position at Kyunghee University after having spent several pleasant years at Korea University. His contract will be for two years.

Be careful not to blog provocatively about Dokdo, Jeff. We know what happens to people with an opinion.

Trivia: Jeff's post shows the Kyunghee U. logo. If I'm not mistaken, the logo shows two Chinese characters, rendered in rather abstract style, which appear to be (from top to bottom) dae and hak. Dae hak can mean "college," or, in a literary context, it can mean The Great Learning. I'm going to assume that, for the logo's purposes, dae hak is being used in the former sense.


_

1 comment:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin.

As for my opinions, I can spin them as well as the next politician. On Dokdo, I simply appeal to the "double-truth" perspective. As I once told Nathan -- or maybe I told everybody -- my official position is that Dokdo belongs to Korea. Unofficially, I really don't know, for I haven't understood the putative evidence.

I think that in this, I don't differ from most Koreans.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *