Thursday, August 25, 2005

bazaar update

I think the Smoo student bazaar went about as well as it could have gone. My fusion crackers (as we ended up calling them) sold well: there's nothing left. I sat back from the main tables and quietly worked on bad calligraphy and brush drawings; the drawings (mostly of crazed farm animals) were a hit, as were my miniature Dalma-do, which in my opinion were little more than so-so. Some of my customers were a bit picky about what they wanted, but I tried to oblige even the weirdest requests (e.g., "I want you to draw me a sheep! But not a crazy one! And give it legs!"). While I worked on the brush art, my table was often surrounded by onlookers. As the drawings took shape on my hwa-seon-ji (calligraphic/art paper), their progress was accompanied by a stroke-by-stroke chorus of low oohs and aahs.

I'm hoping that some of my students will email me the photos they took; there was a lot of shutter-bugging because it's the end of the summer term. I didn't have a chance to take any pics of my fusion crackers, so you'll just have to imagine:

thin, crispy Scandinavian wafer (about 1" x 4"), topped with
tomato sauce, topped with
thinly sliced butternut squash, topped with
shrimp (cooked in a parsley-garlic butter sauce), topped with
my special three-cheese mix (feta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil, and olive oil to bind)

I didn't get to eat a single one of my crackers, though I did enjoy some student fare from other tables (brought to me by students; I felt spoiled).

Everyone seemed to be having a great time, this in spite of the weather. In all, not a bad day. Now I've got to finish grading some tests, then maybe I can enjoy an evening of terror as I anticipate tomorrow's play-- the main event at our mini-graduation. Gawd.

In other news, my teacher evaluations were again largely positive, so all's well in Kevinland.

Off to do some goddamn grading.


_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

Sounds like you're enjoying your current gig. Good for you.