Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The Konglish Turing Test

I mentioned the Turing Test once before on this blog. The basic idea is to test whether a machine can produce linguistic behavior (spoken, written) indistinguishable from a human's. If indistinguishable, the machine has passed the test-- i.e., passed for a human being.

A trip over to the Party Pooper's blog proves that the Party Pooper is able to write in a Konglish style that is, by my lights, indistinguishable from Konglish written by a home-grown Korean. I had a great laugh at this post, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's been tomatoed by angry Netizens who will spam his comments threads with cries of "You are motherfucker bitch!"

Go read.

ADDENDUM: Before I, too, get tomatoed for appearing to sneer at my Korean bruvvaz, I should note that my own Korean skills are way too poor for me even to think about attempting to swear creatively in Korean. French is a different matter.

_

No comments: