Friday, September 17, 2004

the Yoshida factor

Justin does research and sends me the following emails:

1.

"The large wooden flute played by Bill ( David Carradine) actually is the exact same flute that David Carradine plays as Kwai Chang Caine in "Kung Fu" (1972). Carradine brought the flute to rehearsals and Quentin Tarantino decided to find a way to put it in the movie."

Found this at:
Link 1

Obviously, this is not a reliable source, but it sounds plausible. If it were true, how would it affect your thoughts regarding the flute's significance?

Also, check out this snippet from the japattack interview to which I always defer: "Tomo Machiyama: So will David Carradine play a flute in the sequel?

Quentin Tarantino: Oh yeah! He does! You saw that in the trailer, right? And it's actually “The Silent Flute". It's a flute he made, he carved it out of bamboo. And that is the silent flute from the movie Silent Flute (AKA Circle of Iron, Richard Moore, 1979, US). You've got a great thing with David because Bill really is a mix of Asiatic influences and genuine American Western influences."

Link:
Link 2

My question: Was the flute from Kung Fu the same as the flute from The Silent Flute? Or were there two flutes in Kill Bill 2? Okay, I researched this far and now I'm tired and need to shit.

Peace.

-J



2.

//In Once Upon a Time in the West, Bronson's entrance as "Harmonica" was vital to his career (and, when looking at the harmonica holding Bronson scored to the melancholic, poignant theme by Ennio Morricone it must have served as inspiration for Tarantino's flute packing Bill in both Volumes of Kill Bill).//

From:
Link 3

Interesting.



3.

Okay, forget all that other shit I sent. This makes the most sense:

//When Bill's finally introduced in Volume 2, he's playing a bamboo flute, much like the one Carradine's character Caine carried throughout his journeys on Kung Fu. "I sneaked it in," he says. "Every day, when we were stretching, I would do some meditation and flute. I knew that if I did enough of that, maybe Quentin would put it in the picture. And he did."//


I report. You lean over and fart.

_

No comments: